Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Glories of Comfort Food

I went to Campagnolo for dinner on Tuesday night. Now while we're not here to do restaurant reviews, I did want to talk about something that is dear to my heart. Simplicity and the art of comfort food.

Campagnolo did this to a tee with our dessert...a very simple, but elegant, Nutella Tart. Now, I assure you that it was more than chocolate and hazelnut butter in a pie shell, but the point is that it brought back memories of many desserts from my childhood. My grandmother used to make some amazing puddings (some in tart shells and some just in a bowl)...and this tart made me think of those. I haven't had one of my grandmother's puddings in over 20 years, but it still made me think I was standing in her kitchen.

And that's what good comfort food should do. It should take you back to those great times. But it should also add something to the experience. Something that makes you wonder "how'd they do that?"

Oh, and for me, that usually means I have to try and make a version of it myself.

Jonathan

No comments: